The history of Westphalia, Michigan, is long and rich, and is one that is difficult to summarize in just a few pages. These pages do not include all of the village history, but instead highlight interesting points in its history, such as the emigration of the first German Catholic settlers and their establishment of a church in Westphalia.
Information is gratefully taken with permission from Of Pilgrimage, Prayer, and Promise produced by the Westphalia Historical Society, Westphalia Area History, and from Sisters of Christian Charity revised edition 1999.
The first settlers of Westphalia arrived in the port of New York on October 3rd, 1836 aboard the Leontine from their long journey which began in the port of Bremen, Germany. Even before the emigrants sailed from Bremen, they had to travel there by land from their home in Sauerland in the western part of Germany. These first few settlers were Father Anton Kopp, Westphalia St. Mary's pioneering priest, and the Eberhard Platte family. By way of the Erie Canal, they landed in Detroit on the 25th of that same month.
Meanwhile, five men, Anton Cordes, Joseph Platte, John Hanses, William Tillmann and John Salter, were waiting in Lyons for Father Anton Kopp and Eberhard Platte. These five had also made their way along the Dexter Trail from Detroit, while the rest of their families stayed in Detroit. A hired trapper and trading post operator guided the settlers to their land-holdings. The pioneers named the settlement Westphalia in memory of their German homeland. Work began immediately to pave the wilderness into arable land. More than 300 families emigrated to Westphalia from then until 1923.
Emigrants to Westphalia came from almost every state of present day western Germany. Early settlers came from Bavaria and the Sauerland, but later settlers came from all over Germany, as well as Poland, Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Ireland. Most were from the middle-class who had acquired a trade of some sort, such as blacksmithing, masonry, carpentry, or shoemaking.
The first wave of emigrants, who arrived in 1836-1860, did not flee from religious persecution. They were escaping the depressing feudal like political system. After the overthrow of Napoleon in 1815, the great powers of Europe rearranged the map of Europe, and the Rhineland area in Germany became part of Prussia. The Germans struggled under this feudal like political system and longed for peace and order that was not fulfilled by this map rearranging. Later emigrants, from 1871-1885, came to America to escape the religious persecution of Catholics in Germany.
The valley of the Grand River where Westphalia is located was considered at that time worthless by the land speculators. But the settlers knew that the swampy and heavily forested land was a sign of good soil. And they were correct, as Westphalia is a thriving farming community to this day.
The German Catholic parish was established almost immediately after the settlers first arrived. After buying the land at Ionia, Father Anton Kopp traveled back to Detroit. On November 19th, the day after he arrived back in Detroit, Father Anton Kopp visited Bishop Friedrich Reese and was assigned the new German parish. This appointment has great significance, "It was the beginning of the rural Catholic Church in Michigan," wrote Father Kopp in his journal. Father Anton Kopp returned back to his assigned parish in September of 1837 and celebrated Masses in the homes of the settlers. In March of 1838 a two-room log house, that served as the first church as well, was completed. Father Anton Kopp stayed with his parish for five years, until he left for his new assignment at St. Mary's in Detroit.
The painting above evolved from the story told by Bernard Hanses as he recalled hearing it from his father, John Hanses, about the founding of St. Mary's parish in Westphalia. The picture depicts the founders of the parish, Fr. Anton Kopp, Anton Cordes, Joseph Platte, John Hanses, William Tillmann, and John Salter with the first log church and the later brick church as visions.
The painting was commissioned as part of the 100th Anniversary of St. Mary's Parish in 1936. In 1959 it was saved from a fire that destroyed the old church. The painting is currently on display in St. Mary's Church in Westphalia.
Additional information on the history of St. Mary's Parish in Westphalia can be found at www.stmarychurch.net/History.htm
Contact Us: The Village of Westphalia (firstname.lastname@example.org)